Sage beds put to bed for the winter

November 14, 2014

I haven’t posted in a while – just too tired each day upon return home. But I have lots of photos and will make a new video soon.

Labyrinth update for the past month (in a nutshell). More restructuring of area around the labyrinth and truckloads of soil added to the beds. We are now in the process of covering those beds with mulch to be ready to plant 500 sage and 200 lavender plants in the spring. The thistles still require a certain amount of attention, but we have hope that this is manageable. I guess the spring will tell us for sure.

We’re lining the paths with burlap coffee bags – thank you Level Ground! I cannot say enough good things about this local company, which is more than just coffee – although that would be enough in my opinion :-)  – and then we’re covering the burlap with wood chips. Deryk and I are busy busy busy!

These photos are from yesterday.

photo 1

photo 5

Final Stone in Labyrinth

October 5, 2014


The last stone, ready to put in place



It’s done!!!


The stonework for the labyrinth is complete. There are more stones required in other places along the path, but we are feeling pretty happy about getting to this point!

So close to finishing the stonework!

October 2, 2014


We have sore muscles but we have something to show for it!

80 percent of labyrinth stonework complete

September 25, 2014

80percentlabyrinth firstmoundofdirt The first mound of soil is in place and it looks kinda lonely :-) The walking path will be wood chips and in between will be plantings (probably sage). But stonework is 80% complete (or a bit better than that). We won’t finish the stonework by the end of September as we had originally hoped. A few things got in the way AND we got the sculpture installed which we thought would happen a bit later so we really aren’t behind. Feeling good about this!

Here’s a video from about a week ago:

More than 1/3 of the stones in place…

August 30, 2014


We have 186 “paces” completed! This is slightly more than 1/3 of the way there (for the labyrinth stones anyway). Each pace is about 6 or 8 stones. The estimate of 3500 – 4000 stones (total labyrinth) still seems about right, but who’s counting :-)

Almost every single stone has been handpicked by Deryk. I have loaded many of them in and out of the vehicle (we have sort of a bucket-brigade system when we gather the stones and the same for unloading them) and then he makes the final decision regarding the placement of each one. 

Our goal of all stones in place by the end of September seems like it could be a reality!



Deryk Houston and Elizabeth Wellburn – artists at Sooke Harbour House

August 28, 2014

Sooke Harbour House is a very special place – on a beautiful beach, with a world class restaurant, it’s considered one of Canada’s leading resorts. 

So… Deryk and I are very pleased to once again be featured artists there! For the month of September, our show is called “Old Enough to Know Better!”


This photo of the two of us on the lawn of the Empress in Victoria (during one of Deryk’s outdoor painting days) shows the birth of the title for our joint exhibition. We are old enough, but I’m not sure we know better.

Below are some of the pieces from the show – on view and on sale for the next few weeks. I didn’t get many good shots of Deryk’s work. He has about ten paintings on display in the gallery and I have about a dozen glass pieces of varying sizes.

derykpaintingsookefireplace darjeelingAtSooke arsenicatSooke IMG_1417


And I have small felt vessels on display as well.


Hope you can visit this amazing location! 

Sooke Harbour House 1528 Whiffen Spit Road, Sooke, BC V9Z 0T4

telephone (250) 642-3421

Day 1 and Day 2 of “romancing the stones”

August 19, 2014

So…. in a sense these pictures speak for themselves. First and second day of adding stones to the path. We are less than 7% done at the end of day two. So far most stones are from Butler Brothers – but a few are ones found on the farm and we’re going to see if there are other sources as well.

derykcastingastone elizabethwithhardhat

Results after first day - which included a bit of readjusting

Results after first day – which included a bit of readjusting

31 paces completed at the end of day 2

31 paces completed at the end of day 2

It’s just been me and Deryk so far – but maybe a work party or two will be happening in the near future.


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 40 other followers